- Ph.D., McMaster Divinity College, 2010
- M.A., McMaster Divinity College, 2004
- B.Th., Master’s College and Seminary, 2002
- Generally, I focus my research on the doctrines of God, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, Pentecostalism, and Karl Barth.
- Touch of God: The Holy Spirit and Christian Spirituality. I have posted some early excerpts on my blog here and here.
- Beliefs and Practices of PAOC Clergy: A Study of Attitudes, Beliefs, and Behaviours—Then and Now, with Adam Stewart. We conducted a survey in October 2014, and we are currently writing a book called Canadian Pentecostal Clergy: Contemporary Trends that assesses the results.
- Pentecostals and Karl Barth’s Theology, co-editing with Frank Macchia.
- “The Spirit of Power and Love: Edwards and Pentecostals on Pneumatology,” to be published in From Northampton to Azusa: Pentecostals and the Theology of Jonathan Edwards, edited by Amos Yong and Steven M. Studebaker.
- “Pentecostals and Karl Barth on (Im)mutability and (Im)passibility.”
- “The Holy Spirit in the Charismatic Movement,” to be published in The T & T Clark Companion to Pneumatology, edited by Daniel Castelo and Ken Loyer.
- “A History of the PAOC’s Statement of Fundamental and Essential Truths.”
- “Spirit Baptism in Early Canadian Pentecostal Theology.”
- “Toward a Trinitarian Doctrine of the Divine Attributes: A Pneumatological Assist for Karl Barth’s Doctrine of the Divine Freedom.”
Barth’s Doctrine of Creation: Creation, Nature, Jesus, and the Trinity. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2014.
Johannine Writings and Apocalyptic: An Annotated Bibliography. (co-authored with Stanley E. Porter) Johannine Studies Series, 1. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
You can view much of the contents here on Googlebooks.
The Lord is the Spirit: The Holy Spirit and the Divine Attributes. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2011. (Republished in the UK by James Clark and Co., 2012.)
Selected Published Articles
- “The PAOC’s Statement of Fundamental and Essential Truths: Looking to the Past and the Future.” Enrich: The Leadership Magazine of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (Spring 2017): 14-17.
- “Pneumatological Insights for the Attributes of the Divine Loving,” in Third Article Theology: A Pneumatological Dogmatics, edited by Myk Habets (Minneapolis: Fortress Academic, 2016), 39-54. (full essay available here)
- “The Holy Spirit and Eschatology—with Implications for Ministry and the Doctrine of Spirit Baptism.”Journal of Pentecostal Theology 25.2 (2016), 203-221.
- “Theology is a Waste of Time,” in Nexus: Where Theology and Mission Meet. edited by David Wells and Van Johnson (Mississauga, ON: Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, 2015), 2-8.
- “Missional Vitality and the Future of the PAOC,” co-authored with Adam Stewart, Enrich: The Leadership Magazine of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (Fall 2015), 22-25. (full article available here)
- “Spiritual Vitality Among PAOC Credential Holders,” co-authored with Adam Stewart, Enrich: The Leadership Magazine of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (Summer 2015), 26-29. (full article available here)
- “Theological Vitality in the PAOC Today,” co-authored with Adam Stewart, Enrich: The Leadership Magazine of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (Spring 2015), 12-15. (full article available here)
- “The Spirit and the Doctrine of God: On Gendered Language, Violence, and the Trinity and Philosophy.” Canadian Journal of Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity. 5.1 (2014), 81-87. (full article available here)
- “Imitating a Generous God,” in Generosity Changes Everything…Even Us: Perspectives from a Benevolent Fellowship, edited by David Hazzard (Mississauga, ON: Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, 2014), 23-31
- “The Intensity of the Spirit in a Spirit-Filled World: Spirit Baptism, Subsequence, and the Spirit of Creation.” Pneuma: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies 34.3 (2012): 365-382. (full article available here)
- “Neo-Pentecostalism” and “Durham, William H.,” in Handbook of Pentecostal Christianity, ed. Adam Stewart. DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, 2012.
- “Pentecostals and Divine Impassibility: A Response to Daniel Castelo,” in the Journal of Pentecostal Theology 20.1 (2011): 184-190. (full article available here)
- “Searching for the Spirit in Creation: The Contrasting Pneumatologies of Gary Badcock and Denis Edwards.” Didaskalia 22 (fall 2011): 19-38.
- “Review Essay of Frank Macchia’s Baptized in the Holy Spirit,” in Canadian Journal of Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity 1 (2010): 116-130. (full article available here)
- “Beyond Anthropocentrism in Barth’s Doctrine of Creation: Searching for a Theology of Nature,” in Religious Studies and Theology 28.2 (2009).
- “Contemporary Images for Communicating the Atonement and Redemption: Liberator and Lover,” in McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry 10 (2009). (full article available here)
- “This Spirit is God: A Pentecostal Perspective on the Doctrine of the Divine Attributes” in Defining Issues in Pentecostalism: Classical and Emergent, edited by Steven M. Studebaker (Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2008), 69-98.
- “Beyond the Cross: Moltmann’s Crucified God, Rahner’s Rule, and Implications for the Doctrine of God.” Didaskalia 19 (2008): 93-111.
- “Pneumatological Perspectives for a Theology of Nature: The Holy Spirit in Relation to Ecology and Technology,” in Journal of Pentecostal Theology 15.2 (2007).
- “Pauline Pneumatology and Trinitarian Presuppositions,” in Paul and His Theology, edited by Stanley E. Porter. (Pauline Studies 3; Leiden: Brill, 2006), 347-362.
- “A Trinitarian Doctrine of Creation? Considering Barth as a Guide,” in McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry 6 (2005): 36-48. (full article available here)